ExCom Minutes

December 10th:  We celebrated our achievements from 2022 at the Lucky Labrador restaurant.

Several Chapters had 5 or more meetings in 2022.

Congratulations to Ed Epp of the RAS Chapter with 17 meetings in 2022!

The existing and new Section leaders were recognized.  Thanks go to John Prohodsky, Daniel Goodrich and Lee Oien for their service the past two years.

 

Congratulations to our new officers:  Daniel Goodrich (Chair); Ed Perkins (Vice-Chair); David Silver (Treasurer), and Diwakar Agrawal (Secretary).

Our first meeting in 2023 will be January 10th.  Check the Oregon Section web site for details.

6:15     Secretary starts meeting and notes attendees:   Pradeep, Daniel Goodrich, Rick Smith, Ed Epp, Lee Oien, Ed Perkins, Sohrab Aftabjahani, Amritesh Rai, Diwakar Agarwal

 6:30     Chair calls the meeting to order

6:35     Approval of Past Minutes and status of previous action items  (John to provide Dropbox information)  Minutes from September/October approved.

  6:38 Adoption of Agenda

 6:40     Chair’s Report:  Elections:  2023 Elections:  Chair (Daniel Goodrich), Vice-Chair (Ed Perkins), Secretary (Diwakar Agarwal), Treasurer (David Silver), Event/Social Coordinator (?).  The officers were elected.

 6:45     Vice-Chair’s Report:  Not present

 6:50     Treasurer’s Report: $158k in account.  Need October meeting reimbursement.

Chapters need to provide the HOP# to receive annual Section Funds. 

Budget for 2023:  Draft 2 is complete, John asked Lee to develop a “balanced” budget, getting IEEE travelers on Concur and travel guidelines, training new Treasurer

 6:55     Secretary’s Report: Winter Social/Awards Meeting December 10th at 4pm the Lucky Labrador, 915 SW Hawthorne, Portland, https://luckylab.com/hawthorne-2020/.  Link to Register:  https://events.vtools.ieee.org/m/327943

                One award for Chapter with the highest number of meetings (Robotics and Automation with 17 as of Nov 5).

  Region 6 meeting report:  Two priorities:  Declining enrollment and Getting back to in-person meetings

                Conferences 2023:           Rising Stars January 3-5 in Las Vegas https://ieee-risingstars.org/2023/   (register by Nov 13, suggest we send 1 person, Amritesh Rai)

Region 6 OpComm in early February in the San Francisco Area https://ieee-region6.org/  (Send Chair, Vice-Chair, all others join virtually)

SUSTECH Sustainable Technology April 19-22 in Portland https://ieee-region6.org/2022/sustech-2023/  (Ed P and Rick S are on the committee, should we register others?)

Antennas and Propagation International Symposium and USNC-URSI Radio Science July 23-28, 2023 in Portland  https://2023.apsursi.org/  (which Chapter is that? Support?)

Sections Congress August 11-13 in Ottawa, Canada https://www.facebook.com/IEEESC/  (up to 4)

GHTC Global Humanitarian Technology Conference October 12-15 in Philadelphia https://ieeeusa.org/events/list/?tribe-bar-date=2023-10-01 (send 1 person)

                                 In-Person Meeting ideas:  January (to start the year off), May (wrap up the school year and prepare for Summer), August (summer social), September (post-vacation, back to school), December (social and awards).

                                                                                Location options:  Ideally where parking is free and we don’t have to order pizza.  PSU, a restaurant in Portland, a restaurant in Tigard/Hillsboro/Beaverton

 7:00     Chapter Reports (5 minutes Each)

         WIE:  Not present

         Solid State Circuits: Richard Dorrance gave an e-mail report.  They are planning a distinguished lecturer in early December

 Signal Processing Society:

         Nanotech:  Ed Perkins: Meeting scheduled and is on vTools.  Contact Ed if you are interested in helping.

 Professional Activities: Rick Smith

         Computer Society: Sohrab:  Technical Webinar on Antivirus Hardware, 11 attendees.  They had 7 presentations this year, two in collaboration with other chapters.  Intel fund matching hours is mid-December.

         PES:  Not present.

         RAS: Ed Epp:  Working on tutorials with students.

         Young Professionals:  Amritesh will be the new leader for 2023.

 SUSTECH 2023:  Papers due November 15th.  The budget was approved.

 Comsoc: Pradeep:  Five meetings and four joint meetings.  He shared his youtube channel, and has gotten hundreds of views.

 Student Activities: Ugonna:  WSUV presentation on how to find employment.  He is working on re-activating the non-functioning Chapters.  WSUV is fully re-activated.  Andrew Greenberg (?) is a good contact at PSU.

 Webmaster: Daniel Engel: Not Present.

 7:50     New Business:

  • Elections: Officers approved for 2023-24.
  • ExComm meeting in December? Try to get business done by e-mail. John will provide e-mails to Lee and Lee will send out the final draft of the budget.
  • Purpose of the Section discussion.

 7:55     Reading of Action Items

 8:01     Next Meeting Winter Social/Awards December 10th       Where should we meet in person January 10th?  PSU?

We met at the Firehouse Restaurant.  Attendees:   Daniel Engel, Pradeep, Diwakar, Sohrab, Ugonna, Daniel Goodrich, Richard Dorrance, Ed Epp, Ed Perkins, Lee Oien, David Silver

There was a general discussion about future meetings.  The consensus was to have a mix of in-person and web meetings.  We will not have hybrid meetings for now, due to the cost and logistical challenges.  However, we might have a cell phone speaker on for in-person meetings, if there is someone who could not attend but has important business to discuss.

The frequency of in-person meetings was not finalized, here are some ideas:

1) Every other meeting is in person

2) Meet in person during critical months: January, May, August (social), September and December (social)

The format for in person would be to conduct formal business relatively quickly, then allow time for social interaction.  The location has not been decided, perhaps we can contact PSU.  We also might meet on the west side (Beaverton) since many officers live/work in that area.  Ed Epp asked that we not have pizza at every meeting, and many others agreed.

The Winter social/awards meeting will be December 10th at the Lucky Labrador on SE Hawthorne at 4pm.  We will give one award to the Chapter that met the most in 2022.  Dan G will determine the actual award.  Invitees will be all chapter Chairs and one guest.

 

6:15     Secretary starts meeting and notes attendees

6:30     Chair calls the meeting to order at 6:35pm

6:35     Approval of Past Minutes and status of previous action items

            Adoption of Agenda

6:40     Chair’s Report:  Elections status—John sent out the e-mail, will re-send.  Nominations came in for Chair and Treasurer

6:45     Vice-Chair’s Report:  Not present

6:50     Treasurer’s Report: Balance:  $159,415.  From SUSTECH 2022 we received $1,749 as part of the surplus. Ideally we’d have a budget approved in November for 2023.

6:55     Secretary’s Report: Summer Social was a success; 25 people attended the Portland Pickles Game.  Awards ceremony?  ACTION:  Dan to schedule.  Do it in early December, maybe start at 6:30pm, maybe the 13th.  Maybe do it as a less formal than a sit down, at a brewpub.  Perhaps do a Saturday, but maybe on the 3rd or the 10th earlier in the day, like 4pm.  Chapter Chairs meeting (typically in February)?

7:00     Chapter Reports (5 minutes Each)

        WIE:  Not present

        Solid State Circuits: Richard Dorrance:  Social tomorrow, lecturer this Friday.  They are on vTools.  Another speaker scheduled in October.

Signal Processing Society: 

        Nanotech:  Ed Perkins: 

Professional Activities: 

        Computer Society: Sohrab:  Had a presentation last month on hardware security.  Next meeting in October.

        PES:  Not present.

        RAS: Ed Epp: Working with adults with ROSS(?) kits.  Working with Thomas Coughlin

        Ed also gave an update on SUSTECH 2023:  There are monthly SUSTalks post-conference.  They need local volunteers.

Comsoc: 

Student Activities: 

Webmaster: Daniel Engel:  Web site is stable.

7:50     New Business:  ACTION:  John to provide Dan with info on how to set up an IEEE hosted dropbox file storage.  See screenshot below.

7:55     Reading of Action Items 

7:58     Next Meeting October 11th In person only. ACTION:  John will make a reservation at a local restaurant before September 19th.  Chapter Chairs (or their designee) and EXCOMM members.

Items to discuss at the meeting (John will be the moderator):

  • Possibly formulate a vision
  • Issues with the same officers for years in a given chapter—we need “fresh blood”
  • Finding local speakers to speak at chapter meetings
  • Help with specific challenges from chapters
  • Perhaps find a way to reward the seasoned volunteers—training and development maybe?
  • What can be accomplished in the short term? Longer term?

8:00     Adjourn: Adjourned at 7:57pm

 

We met and watched the Portland Pickles baseball game.  It was great fun!